A plaque which was placed on the Whitley Conduit when it was refurbished in 1908 is now on show in the new Story of Reading Gallery display at Reading Museum.
The wording on the plaque states:
CORPORATION OF READING
THIS CONDUIT WHICH FORMERLY
SUPPLIED READING ABBEY WITH WATER
WAS CLEANED AND REPAIRED
WILLM M. COLEBROOK
Edward Margrett wrote about the conduit in the July 1908 edition of the Berks, Bucks & Oxon Archaeological Journal. He discovered that it was in bad condition and spoke to the mayor who arranged for repairs to be carried out.
Workmen were sent, the brickwork repaired and brick steps placed to provide convenient access. The interior was cleared out of accumulated rubbish and the vaulting of the reservoir exposed. Further the water was pumped out and the dirt and rubbish, brickbats, etc, were removed restoring the reservoir to its original depth. It was found that the vaulting was in a precarious state which has now been secured by underpinning.
The conduit and the spring which fed it were at the top of Highgrove Street, but nothing remains today. The conduit may once have been covered by a stone building, perhaps like that which can still be seen in Southampton today (below).