The atmospheric art exhibition inspired by Oscar Wilde‘s haunting Ballad of Reading Gaol at the Riverside Museum at Blake’s Lock recently provides a compelling cultural backdrop to the Hug The Gaol Event on Sunday 13 October at 2pm. The emotive images evoked by the ‘Pit of Shame’ lead us to a feeling of redemption as we surround Reading Gaol in a mass hug to demonstrate our desire to have Reading Gaol at the heart of the community.
It should become an enriching arts hub and museum, accessible to all, providing cultural activities for Reading residents and visitors alike, it should not become yet another luxury high-rise housing development!
To join the residents of Reading in this all embracing experience you can register on Eventbrite. This helps the organisers to gauge how many people to expect and also to contact you with any updates.
- Reading Gaol Hug Facebook page
- Reading Gaol Hug eventbrite
- Over 5000 people want to save Reading Gaol – thank you! Matt Rodda MP homepage
- Matt Rodda MP’s petition to Save Reading Gaol
- ‘In Reading Gaol by Reading Town’ – exhibition at the Turbine House at the Riverside Museum